What To Know About Bee Stings and Your Dog

Dogs are known to be curious animals, and they can sometimes get stung by bees or wasps. These stings can occur anywhere but are most common on their face, inside their mouth, or on their paws. When a dog gets stung, they may show signs of discomfort, such as whining, drooling, hives, pawing at their face or eyes, and facial swelling. It is important to note that not all dogs react the same way to bee stings, and their response can vary from mild to severe.

If you suspect that your dog has been stung by a bee or a wasp, it is important to act fast to prevent the spread of venom. The first thing you should do is try to locate the stinger. Use a credit card or any other flat object to scrape it out of the skin. Avoid using tweezers, as they can cause the stinger to break and release more venom into the dog’s system. The longer the stinger remains under the skin, the more venom can spread, so it is crucial to remove it as soon as possible.

It is impossible to predict your dog’s reaction to a bee sting, as some dogs may only experience mild swelling or redness, while others may develop a life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.

Anaphylaxis is a rare occurrence in dogs but can happen with repeated stings over time, as the immune system becomes more sensitive to bee venom. If your dog experiences any of the following symptoms, such as swelling of the throat, difficulty breathing, or collapse, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately.


If your dog is only experiencing mild swelling and is behaving normally, you can apply some first aid at home. Apply ice to the affected area to decrease the spread of venom, and make a baking soda paste with a cotton ball to reduce the itch and swelling of the sting.

You can also give your dog an oral dose of Benadryl, which is an antihistamine used to reduce the severity of allergic reactions. The correct dose of Benadryl is 0.9–1.8 milligrams (mg) per pound, given two to three times a day. However, it is essential to consult with your vet before administering any medication to your dog.

Remember, if you are in doubt about the severity of your dog’s condition, seek emergency treatment immediately. Delaying treatment could be fatal, so it is always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to your furry friend’s health.